Saturday 24 April 2010

Dive Right In!

I have been asked to do another Create and Craft show next week.  The theme for this show is the new underwater life stamp plates designed by Sam Poole.  There are three new plates full of fun underwater themed stamps.  They are called Mermaid and Friends, Sea Life and Dive Right In!  I've been having a bit of a fun today with them, getting samples made for the show and just playing around with some new techniques and ideas.  Whenever you are working with anything that involves an underwater theme, there is so much you can do in the way of different card ideas.  I immediately thought of water cards for one and then using real seashells and sand as embellishments.  The card above has a real sand base to it (not sure if you can tell from my pic though).  Acetate gives you so many options too.  I've made a dozen or so cards for the show already and I still have lots of ideas that I haven't even gotten around to doing yet!  So many ideas, so little time!

 How about a little game?  There is a little prize for the first person to leave a comment that can tell me what is unusual about the card above?  Hint:  There is something that you are looking at that isn't what it appears to be and you must identify what it is?

 The show is scheduled for Thursday the 29th at 11am.  I'll try to put a few samples on my blog between now and then, but I will be saving most of them for the show so you'll have to watch!  All for now, Sue x

32 comments:

Ger said...

Blowed if I can see what's unusual about it, or what isn't what it seems .... but I'm still looking!!

Ger said...

Have to add: the little seashells look VERY real, unless they're not?

Looking forward to Thursday's show, I'll be watching! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

is there something buried in the sand,,bottom half looks like sand but above it doesnt, elaine

Jayne Owen said...

Hi

I think the seaweed is made from the jelly fish tenticles on the 'umount mermaid and friends A5 stamp plate'

Can't wait for the show

elaine said...

I think its def to do with the top layer of sand,,,it appears to be sand but actually isnt

Anonymous said...

missing finger on the diver?

elaine said...

Looks like sme sort of food substance for the top layer of sand??

elaine said...

now its startin to look like material was used for the top layer of sand,,lol

veronica said...

those shells look awfully real to me - apart from that, the only thing I can think of is that the top layer of sand looks paler - a layer of something like sugar or salt over the sand?

Rainbow Lady said...

I think between the two shells looks like a mirror but it is not actually a real one. Or the other way round and it is really a mirror lol. Great cards too. Love Cynthia x

elaine said...

is the middle shell a leaf of some sort?

elaine said...

arghh. the turqoise and black shell, isnt actually a shell,,its a broken piece off the middle one,, just cant figure out what it is

elaine said...

middle shells two of them feathers?

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Looks like one of the bubbles is actually a little bird to me (or maybe it's just my vivid imagination LOL!!)

Great card...love the colors and details!!TFS

Terry

Ger said...

It's no use, I can't see what it is. I'd go to bed only I'm afraid I'll see this card in my sleep. I'll try a glass of wine, bet I'll see the answer then LOL.

Lorraine said...

this is a great card and omg i so need to watch this show as i won these stamps thankyou sue xx

bonjen3 said...

Love the card, so many possibilities.
The unusual thing about the card is the clever use of the jellyfish stamp for all that fabulous seaweed :)

Lorraine said...

i think that the glass looking thing in the middle is a gem i know terrible answer but this is really tricky lol xx

Lorraine said...

i think your right bonjen3 xx

Anonymous said...

I think your right, Jayne, its defo the jelly fish stamp, Such a good card!!! xx

Rufus said...

Whatever it is, the card is still great! Hope that we get to see more of them.
R/

Annie said...

Great card - and I think everyone has had amazing suggestions - the jellyfish is a great use of a stamp and the real shells and sand. One layer of the sand looks like toast to me - well useful I suppose if you get hungry in the middle of the show but cookies would be better - lol.
Love the card. You do amazing stuff.
ann xxx

Kate's Cards said...

Who knows? Enjoyed the card, very vibrant.
Kate
XXXXXXX
Ps Looking forward to the show!

Nicola said...

Great, love your shows, always learn so much and always feel inspired after watching them. Thanks for showing so many techniques, love it! It will be sky +.
Nicola x

Anonymous said...

is it the fact that there is a "no fishing" sign sticking out at the bottom of the seabed... ie. who put it there in the first place???

Great card Sue.. and look forward to the show.
Best wishes from Paula

Lesley S said...

Is it the fact that the sand is not sand but some other material. Can't wait to watch your demos. I just love your colourful inspirations.

Shirl said...

I really love this bright colour card, and its beautiful how you layer the sand and the seaweed and the sea creatures... must have been a lot of work!

Henriëtte said...

Leuke kaart geworden zeg!!

Groetjes Henriëtte

Annette said...

OMGoodness how awesome! This really pops!

The Taming of the Glue said...

Didn't get back from the cruise until May 1st so missed the show. I'm hoping that there is a repeat I can watch. The samples are great.

crafty-stamper said...

Fantastic blog and fantastic cards --I think the little red creature in the corner is actually a frog
carol x

Birgit said...

Real shells? :)

-- Birgit